For some time now I have been considering to quit social media, at least most of them (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
There are a few reasons for this but the main one’s being:
- Privacy and protecting my personal info. Most of these collect a bunch of information on you, sell it to the highest bidder.
- Manipulation of the information I receive and what I see, based on my habits.
- Free up more time and unshackle myself from this addictive self-serving addiction to share random pictures and information about what is going on in my life to random people.
My arguments (and many others) against doing this have been:
- FOMO = Fear of missing out.
- Not being able to stay in touch with people.
- Not staying current with technology trends or lowering my chance of being employed.
Well after having watched these two short videos I have been reaffirmed and convinced that this is what is best for me and probably for many others.
I would warmly recommend you to at least watch these and consider what impact Social Media has on you.
I will remain on WhatsApp (have taken all possible steps to protect my data), and LinkedIn (do not use this much) for now, as I want to stay in touch with friends and also need them for my day to day work. Might look at deleting these at a later stage.